Courthouse, an urban neighborhood in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor of Arlington, used to be part of Washington, D.C. Retroceded in 1846 because of talk of abolishing slavery in D.C., Alexandria County, including what is now Courthouse, was returned to Virginia. In 1861, the Union took control of the area and built Fort Woodbury, near where the current Arlington County Courthouse stands. Standing atop one of the highest hills in Arlington, Ft. Woodbury was part of the “Arlington Line” of fortifications specifically built to protect the bridges spanning the Potomac between Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Development of the area, starting in earnest in the early 20th century, was efficiently planned around transit opportunities. It also features one of the first garden-style complexes built in the U.S. Built in the 1930s, Colonial Village contains private condos, co-op housing, and apartments and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Technically a suburb, the neighborhood sports many urban amenities such as a movie theater, several grocery stores, many bars and restaurants, offices, and government buildings. In fact, the name Courthouse comes from the density of official buildings centered in the neighborhood.
With easy access to downtown Washington, D.C., proximity to commercial areas, and proper residential areas with single-family homes and pleasant, tree lined streets, Courthouse is both an ideal residential location as well as a great place for young, urban dwellers to take advantage of the trails, parks, and other amenities of the neighborhood typically found further away from downtown D.C.
no images were found