Mount Pleasant, a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., is bounded to the north and west by Rock Creek Park, Harvard Street NW and Adams Morgan to the south, and Sixteenth St. NW and the Columbia Heights to the east. Home to approximately ten thousand people, Mount Pleasant is mainly residential with a four-block commercial corridor along Mount Pleasant Street.
The western four-fifths of the neighborhood, bounded on two sides by Rock Creek Park, is a largely wooded residential area. Homes are primarily row houses, some subdivided into apartments, with a few of the original 19th century wood frame houses remaining. The eastern border of the neighborhood is dominantly mid-rise apartments, condominiums and cooperatives.
Historically, Mount Pleasant began, in 1727, as a land grant that included the present-day Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and Pleasant Plains areas. Following the creation of the District of Columbia in 1791, Pleasant Plains Estate became part of Washington County and was sold off as individual tracts. The highest elevations of the original Pleasant Plains estate, belonging to Samuel P. Brown during the Civil War, became the modern day Mount Pleasant.