Foxhall Village was named for Scottish immigrant and Georgetown mayor Henry Foxall (a spelling mistake on an early sign turned Foxall into Foxhall), whose cannons helped defeat the British during the War of 1812 and who shared friendship and a love of violin-playing with Thomas Jefferson. During most of the 1800s, the area was used as farm and grazing land. Starting in the late 1800s and continuing into the early 1900s, Foxhall was a popular for location for summer homes of prominent Washington residents and later, as city began to grow rapidly, commuter housing.
In the 1920s, Harry Boss and the construction firm of Boss and Phelps using the stucco Tudor style, built nearly 150 homes. The company described this newly constructed community as “situated on a high, gently rolling tract of land, desirably removed from the noise and bustle of the City Proper — yet within three miles of Washington’s main business districts.” Though the houses are very similar in style, there is a distinct variety in details. Certain features such as leaded-style windows, stone medallions on the brick faces, and curved chimney pots are hallmarks of the neighborhood.
Foxhall Village, today approximately 300 homes, stayed true to Boss’s intended vision. Isolated and hidden away from the nearby bustle of Georgetown, Foxhall Village is within walking distance of urban amenities while remaining faithful to its quiet, cozy reputation. With no substantial through streets, the neighborhood stays happily off the beaten path.
[idx-listings tract=”Foxhall” statuses=”1″ propertytypes=”132″ orderby=”DateAdded” orderdir=”DESC” count=”10″]